Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Goodbye summer...

I know summer isn't technically over, and judging by our weather here, you'd never think it.  But rolling into September marks the end of summer for me.  School starts for N in nine days.  Supplies are bought, new clothes are washed and put away, ready for wear.  All that is left is shoe shopping...and some groceries!


When I was young, and heading off to school each new year, the best part of it was supply shopping!  I loved it then, I love it now.  But every year, on my first day, I would have a tummy ache.  Every year, my mom made me go anyway "It's your first day of school!  It's just nerves."  Boy did that make me mad.  I know now that she was right...and soon, I'll be sending my own daughter off to school on her first day (albeit, second year), and I will be the one with the nerves.  My daughter is so excited to get back to the classroom, back to her friends and teacher.  She will walk into that school like she owns the place.  Good for her.  And me?  I'll walk back home, tears in my eyes.  Tears of joy, for the brave girl my first baby has become.  Saying goodbye to summer means saying goodbye to my "baby" and hello to my "big girl".  I'm ok with that, I guess, but I'll still have a tummy ache.

No comments:

Post a Comment