Monday, September 6, 2010

I'll take what I can get

I just said goodbye to J, yet again, as he heads back to the course he's doing out of town, I'm lucky he is able to come home some weekends.  Part of the deal as an Army Wife is a lot of goodbyes.  Sometimes they're achingly hard.  Nearly every time, though, is tender.  Today certainly was, watching him with our son, trying to coax a few more smiles from him and with our girl, making jokes and the peaceful smile left on his face, brought out by her giggles.  The gentle pressure of his hand on my cheek and kiss on my forehead before wishing me luck on my next two weeks as a "married single mother".  Mostly, despite the tenderness and love shared amongst us, goodbyes suck.

But "goodbye" means "hello!".  The age old saying - "Absence makes the heart grow fonder" - holds true with every goodbye and every hello.  Whether he's been gone for a couple of days, a couple of weeks or several months, each time I get a thrill of excitement when I know he's on his way back home to us.  He is barely gone, and I miss him already.  I am already looking forward to our next hello, but until then, I'll be running around like a mad hatter.  Between school starting this week, appointments for the kids' pictures, groceries, housework and the occasional moment of rest, I'll snuggle my boy, and cuddle my girl.  Chances are one or both of them will end up in my bed every night...and I love it.  Until I have my soldier home, I'll take my few quiet moments with my beautiful children before we start the whole hello/goodbye process all over again.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment